Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Your Wish is Immigranted

I apologize to all my faithful readers (if any of you actually exist) for my absence over the last couple months. Work has been hectic, social obligations have been rampant and I need to set aside at least an hour per day for my Playstation 2. If I'm forgiven, this is what's been going on...

I attended a rally yesterday in Hempstead designated to recognize immigrant workers all over Long Island. Granted that this rally was absent of violence, anarchy and the riot squad (a similar rally in San Diego was a different story), I'm still failing to see why immigrants feel something is owed to them. If anything, I think they owe America. It's like staying in a five-star hotel for free.

As I walked through the crowds at the rally, I took a lot of notes, seeing these people holding American flags as well as the flags of other countries. I unfortunately couldn't talk to anybody because no one spoke English. They were fired up. "Si se puede, si se puede," they kept saying. It means "Yes we can." One speaker, Legislator Dave Mejias (D-North Massapequa) asked questions like "Do you want to work in America? Do you want to live in America?" to which they replied and enthusiastic "YEAH!" But then Mejias asked if they want to pay taxes. The majority of the immigrants yelled "NO!" louder than the previous responses.

Sorry immigrants. It wasn't a multiple choice question. It's all or nothing in America.

Furthermore, this national anthem debacle is ridiculous. If the German national anthem isn't sung in English, why should ours be sung in Spanish?

I saw United 93 last night. Excellent movie, but I have one big complaint:

No one will ever know for sure what happened on that plane or where it's ultimate destination was. I was perplexed that the film would have that, but it's all based on guesswork. We may never know what really happened, but the film was a worthy homage to those who lost their lives on that flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home